A lightweight, versatile performance ice axe for all activities related to technical mountaineering: alpine ascents and descents, climbing in steep ice or mixed terrain, building anchors, crossing glaciers. This award-winning tool has a unique, easy-adjust handrest. Available with adze and hammer.
The North-X axe is a versatile, ergonomic ice tool with a pick and adze for technical mountaineering, climbing in steep mixed terrain, ice climbing and glacier crossings.
Its stand-out feature is the special sliding, easy-adjust hand rest. When plunging in steep firn, the hand rest slides upwards as you climb to promote energy-saving movement and a more rapid ascent. If you are on steep rock or ice, it locks when loaded for maximum support. In addition, the elasticated webbing anchor leash integrated in the moving hand rest enables fast and secure shaft-placement for self-belaying.
The hot-forged steel pick and 20° offset 7075 aluminium shaft guarantee a balanced swing action and secure, precise placement on all types of rock and ice. And the insulated synthetic grip provides effective protection from the cold – a real bonus on longer routes. For extra safety on the descent, the North-X has a replaceable steel tip at the bottom instead of a spike, as it provides a better hold on rock and ice.
· Precision-cast steel head is comfortable to carry in the hand when used for support on ascents and descents
· Aggressive blade for secure placement in every type of ice and rock
· Balanced weight and a 20° offset shaft for optimal swinging and efficient belay anchoring
· Easy-adjust handrest for an improved hold or hand switching in steep terrain (single-handed adjustment, no tools required)
· Anchor leash on shaft (5kN tear strength), also suitable for self-belaying
· Handrest can move upwards in snow for smooth plunging or to be kept out of the way when building anchors
· Synthetic grip provides insulation from the cold
· Replaceable hard metal tip at bottom for better grip when moving over icy surfaces
· Available with adze and hammer
· Spare part /accessory: 1094 PICK GUARD, 1753 SPIKE FOR ICE AXE, 1752 HANDREST FOR ICE AXE, 1744 NORTH-X BLADE, 1743 LEASH
Certifications: CE EN 13089, T, EN 13089 Type 2, UIAA 152
Length: UNI ( 52.5 )
Weight Size: UNI ( 540 g )
Materials Description: Steel head and blade, 7075 aluminium shaft, carbide spike